Career Opportunities - Telecommunicator
The Hazelwood Police Department is hiring for the position of full-time Telecommunicator!
Previous experience or REJIS certification preferred but not required.
See below for application and details!
Currently accepting applications! Application are due by 4:30pm on Wednesday, October 21st.
The Hazelwood Police Department employs professional, innovative, self-disciplined and self-motivated employees to serve the community. The Communications Division is responsible for the gathering and dissemination of information and the assignment of appropriate personnel and equipment to a wide range of emergency and non-emergency situations. The telecommunicators are responsible for service to the citizens in a 24/7/365 environment including weekends and holidays. The environment is fast paced and dynamic requiring the ability to use critical thinking skills, make quick and accurate decisions and multi-task, all while being empathetic and compassionate.
Some of the duties required of telecommunicators include; answering incoming 911 and non-emergency calls to the police department, dispatching of police units to calls for service, logging all calls for service and activities of radio units in to a Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD), entering/updating/cancelling records from the Criminal Justice Information Service, observe CCTV cameras of jail facility as well as several City buildings and more.
- Deferred Compensation - The City of Hazelwood provides all employees with the opportunity to participate in a program of deferring a percentage of income into growth and income investments for retirement
- Employee Assistance Program - A confidential counseling and referral service is available to all employees and family members through the St. Louis Area Employee Assistance
- Holidays - 11 paid holidays per year
- Insurance - The City of Hazelwood provides medical, vision, dental, disability and life insurance for each employee and pays one half of the employee’s family plan costs. Each employee is provided benefits from the Worker’s Compensation Plan
- Retirement - The City of Hazelwood provides a non-contributory pension plan for telecommunicators. Telecommunicators will have a vested interest after five years of service
- Sick Leave - Accumulated on the basis of one day per month while on pay status to a maximum of ninety days or equivalent shift time
- Sick Leave Incentive - Employees using no sick time in a calendar year will receive an extra holiday
- Starting Salary - $43,939
- Tuition Assistance - Reimbursement is available to full-time employees
- Uniforms and Equipment – Uniform shirts and jacket are furnished by the department
Vacation - Each employee of the department is eligible for one week after one full year of service, two weeks after two years of service, three weeks after ten years of service and four weeks after fifteen years of service
- Have no conviction, or finding of guilt or nolo contendere, whether or not sentence is imposed and whether or not a judgment of conviction is entered, of a felony, misdemeanor or ordinance violation involving moral turpitude or conduct inconsistent with public service or a position of public trust
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must have a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED)
- Must have an “Honorable” discharge, or a discharge “Under Honorable Conditions”, if having served in the military
- Must possess a valid Missouri Operators License by date of employment and have fewer than five points charged against his/her driving record at time of application
- Preferred Regional Justice Information Service (REJIS) level II certification
All appointments to the Hazelwood Police Department are made on the basis of an open, competitive selection process conducted under the supervision of the Professional Standards Unit. Each applicant must successfully complete each stage of the selection process before becoming eligible to proceed to the next step. This process may take approximately one to six months to complete.
The process is as follows:
- Preliminary Background Review
- Written Test - Basic clerical applications
- Background Investigation
- Professional Standards Oral Interview
- Command Staff Review Board
- Chief’s Review
This examination will be given after a conditional offer of employment.
All appointees to positions in the service of the City shall undergo a probationary period for one year, during which time the employee’s performance is subject to monthly review.
In the event an applicant is eliminated during any phase of the process, re-application can not be made for six months. The Chief of Police will make the final decision regarding re-application on a case by case basis.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Hazelwood Police Department is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit the following completed documents to the Hazelwood City Hall, located at:
415 Elm Grove Lane
Hazelwood, MO 63042