Career Opportunities - Police Officer
The Hazelwood Police Department is hiring for the position of Police Officer!
Previous experience and/or graduate of an accredited police academy preferred.
See below for application and details!
Currently accepting applications! Application are due by 4:30pm on Monday, March 22nd.
Who We Are Looking For
The Hazelwood Police Department deploys professional, innovative, self-disciplined and self-motivated officers directly into the community. The Department envisions the empowerment of patrol officers to take independent action to solve problems, create partnerships with the community, and improve the social environment of the neighborhood they serve. The organization is structured, managed, and operated in a manner which supports the efforts of the neighborhood patrol officers and encourages a cooperative approach to solving problems.
The Hazelwood Police Department’s primary functions are the protection of life and property, the preservation of peace and order, safe movement of traffic, provision for emergency service and the delivery of effective and efficient quality service.
- Deferred Compensation - The City of Hazelwood provides all employees with the opportunity to participate in a program of deferring a percentage of income into growth and income investments for retirement
- Employee Assistance Program - A confidential counseling and referral service is available to all employees and family members through the St. Louis Area Employee Assistance
- Holidays - 11 paid holidays per year
- Insurance - The City of Hazelwood provides medical, vision, dental, disability and life insurance for each officer and pays one half of the officer’s family plan costs. Each officer is provided benefits from the Worker’s Compensation Plan
- Retirement - The City of Hazelwood provides a non-contributory pension plan for police officers. Officers will have a vested interest after ten years of service
- Sick Leave - Accumulated on the basis of one day per month while on pay status to a maximum of ninety days or equivalent shift time
- Sick Leave Incentive - Employees using no sick time in a calendar year will receive an extra holiday
- Starting Salary - $56,201
- Tuition Assistance - Reimbursement is available to full-time employees
- Uniforms and Equipment - Furnished by the department at no cost
- Vacation - Each employee of the department is eligible for one week after one full year of service, two weeks after two years of service, three weeks after ten years of service and four weeks after fifteen years of service
- Have no conviction, or finding of guilt or nolo contendere, whether or not ntence is imposed and whether or not a judgment of conviction is entered, of a felony, misdemeanor or ordinance violation involving moral turpitude or conduct inconsistent with public service or a position of public trust
- Height and weight in proportion to department standards
- Must be 21 years of age, or applicant must reach 21st birthday by time of completion at the police academy.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must have a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED)
- Must have an “Honorable” discharge, or a discharge “Under Honorable Conditions”, if having served in the military
- Must possess a valid Missouri Operators License by date of employment and have fewer than five points charged against his/her driving record at time of application
- Preferred Peace Officer’s Standards and Training (POST) approved certification for police officer in a Class A county
All appointments to the Hazelwood Police Department are made on the basis of an open, competitive selection process conducted under the supervision of the Professional Standards Unit. Each applicant must successfully complete each stage of the selection process before becoming eligible to proceed to the next step. This process may take approximately one to six months to complete.
The process is as follows:
- Preliminary Background Review
- Written Test - Basic Arithmetic, Reading, Grammar and Report Writing (Study guide available at applytoserve.com).
- Physical Fitness Test - Applicants must take and pass a certified fitness test to be eligible to continue in the hiring process.
- Background Investigation
- Professional Standards Oral Interview
- Command Staff Review Board
- Chief’s Review
Physical Fitness Testing
Applicants must take and pass a certified fitness test to be eligible to continue in the hiring process.
Physical Health & Psychological Evaluation
These examinations will be given after a conditional offer of employment.
All appointees to positions in the service of the City shall undergo a probationary period for one year, during which time the employee’s performance is subject to monthly review.
In the event an applicant is eliminated during any phase of the process, re-application can not be made for six months. The Chief of Police will make the final decision regarding re-application on a case by case basis.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Hazelwood Police Department is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit the following completed documents to the Hazelwood City Hall, located at:
415 Elm Grove Lane
Hazelwood, MO 63042