Wondering what you should do to stay safe once the storm passes? The National Weather Service recommends staying inside for at least 30 minutes after the last thunderclap.
Here are a few other precautions you should take:
- Avoid downed power lines and items touching these lines.
- Do not move seriously injured people unless they are in immediate danger of further injury.
- Be cautious of exposed nails and broken glass.
- If it is dark, do not use candles or any open flames; use a flashlight instead.
- Call 911 immediately if anyone is injured, if you see frayed wiring or sparks, or if you smell gas or a burning odor.