Animal Control Unit

Animal Control Officer

The City of Hazelwood employs a full-time certified Animal Control Officer through the National Animal Care and Control Association. The officer works Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 3:30 pm. The Animal Control Officer can be reached by calling 314-838-5000 ext. 1 or for an emergency dial 911.


Animal Control duties include:

  • Animal bite investigations.
  • Animal neglect/abuse investigation.
  • Enforcement and education of all animal-related ordinances and wild-life deterrence.
  • Enforces the City of Hazelwood dangerous animal ordinance which includes the keeping of pitbull-type breed of dogs. A special permit is required to keep these animals- no exceptions (see city ordinance for more details).
  • Ensure all domestic pets are properly licensed annually with the City of Hazelwood. City tags are free of charge via the Finance office - must show current proof of rabies inoculation. Tags run from June 1 through May 31.
  • Ensure all domestic pets are properly vaccinated for the rabies virus.
  • Nuisance wildlife trapping/removal only if an animal has gained access to your home/ garage/shed, or has burrowed a nest under porches or patios.
  • Deceased animal removal (size restrictive) from roadways and private residences.
  • Patrol city-wide for stray dogs and cats. Scan animals for microchip and reunite them with their proper owners.
  • Assist with traffic control when necessary.
  • Enforce parking violations - unlicensed/expired license plates.

Animal Complaint

Submit an animal complaint online.